Tuesday 26 December 2017

Brother Juniper’s Switches Out Breakfast Menu For Free Christmas Feast To Those In Need


MEMPHIS, Tenn. - It's the pay season and one of Memphis' favorite breakfast places is playing an important role in that.

Between music, gifts and delicious food, it sure looked a lot like Christmas at Brother Juniper's on Monday.

"It's wonderful," said Franklin Beam, who works at the Warrior Center.

It was the restaurant's thirtieth year to welcome anyone who needs it to celebrate with them and have a free banquet.

"Simply an open house for the whole neighborhood," said Brother Juniper's co-owner, Patrick Koplin.

Instead of their typical breakfast menu, they offer a traditional Christmas meal with turkey, ham, stuffing, dessert and more.

Volunteers come from everywhere to donate gifts, entertain guests and serve food.

"I love it," said Larry Bomar, who has been a volunteer for 29 years there. "I'm glad we can do it."

Bomar said that this was the most active year he has seen in a while.

"This is actually my favorite part of Christmas," Koplin said. "Believe it or not, when I was a kid I was opening gifts and when you grow up, you realize that there are more important things in the world and this is what I look forward to every year."

For some, it was the first time they were there for Christmas.

"I feel very honored to meet four or five people that I have seen on the street or in the transition that I have not seen in a long time, so it was a nice homecoming," said Beam.

The event is mainly based on word of mouth.

The current owners said they took charge of this tradition of the last people who owned Brother Juniper, which makes 30 years of retribution at Christmas.